The Whitmer Schoolhouse/Cove Church Move

The 100-year-old Whitmer School/Cove Mennonite Church in Mathias, WVA, shown here in its original location, was moved to the CrossRoads site in December, 2004. When the school closed about 1940, it continued to serve as a meetinghouse for Sunday school and church, known later as Cove Mennonite Church. After the church closed, the five children of the Jesse and Beulah (Whitmer) Halderman family donated the building to CrossRoads. It was reassembled and made usable in early 2005 and the annual Whitmer School - Cove Mennonite Church homecoming service was first held in this new location on June 5, 2005.

Photo Credit: David W. Showalter

During workdays in the summer and fall of 2004, the bell tower, front porch, rear classrooms and roof were dismantled by volunteers, and the 20' X 28' structure was sawed in thirds for transport to the 711 Garbers Church Road site. Clark Martin and sons provided equipment and labor to move it.

After volunteers dug and poured a concrete foundation on top of the hill near the woods, the building was reassembled, including use of the old rafters. The roof was also covered with tarpaper and the gable ends with plastic. The front porch and bell tower will be reassembled soon, along with metal sheeting for the roof and siding for the gable ends.

Photos below show this move and the reassembly of the Whitmer Schoolhouse near the woods overlooking the Valley. Click on photos to view larger images. Photo Credit for all photos below: Tom Sawin

Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

The reconstructed school and church now stands on the CrossRoads Campus in Harrisonburg, Virginia, where it reflects the early education and mission work of the Mennonites and Brethren in the Shenandoah Valley.

Photo Credit: Allen Brubaker

Loading...

This page created by L. Lineweaver using PhotoPage by John A. Vink.